2021 Light Up the Arts Art & Gift Sale Exhibitor's Package Overview
Light Up the Arts is a juried art and gift sale of fresh work; original handmade gift items, including local interest books, approved food items, soaps, jewelry and small fine art prints and cards. This event is a retail opportunity for SCAC members and a gift-buying opportunity for the public.
This year we continue to ensure we can operate safely under COVID restrictions. These include electronic submissions, designated merchandise delivery windows, social distancing and volunteering and shopping protocols:
- Prices are set by the exhibitor. The SCAC does not collect sales tax. If artists wish to collect sales tax, it must be included within the price of the item.
- A sales commission of 25% is applied to all items sold and you must be a current SCAC member to exhibit.
- Each exhibitor is asked to staff the sale for two 3-hour shifts. You’ll be operating the inventory system to process sales and will be shown how to use it. It’s a very user-friendly system and easy to learn. Masks for volunteers and customers are mandatory, limits to building occupancy are in place and hand sanitizer is readily available.
- Copies or plagiarized work cannot be exhibited, nor can any work made from commercial kits or patterns, or work done in classes or workshops based on non-copyright free images.
- Exhibitors are responsible for any problems arising from poor workmanship. The SCAC does not insure exhibitors’ work. All insurance is the responsibility of the exhibitor.
- SCAC will ensure fair placement of work. The gift sale chairperson or representative will display all items at the sale’s outset and all items added during the sale. Wall space limitations dictate a maximum of 2 large (over 20” one side) or 4 small hanging works per exhibitor, (not including small items such as ornaments.
Exhibitors who have not previously participated in Light Up the Arts or the Art and Gift Gallery must submit their work by email for jurying by Wednesday, October 27th. Email your completed registration form and signed agreement to email@example.com along with 3 good quality jpgs of each piece you would like to submit.
Members of the Summerland Community Arts Council are invited to participate. Non-members can exhibit their art by purchasing a membership online at www.summerlandarts.com ($25 for individual).
Email your proposed inventory to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, October 31st. In the body of the email, list your inventory following the guidelines below and attached your completed registration form and your signed agreement. (Please ask someone to help you complete this electronically if you don’t have email).
Your inventory list must include the artist’s name with products itemized separately by:
- Name of product
- Number of product (multiples i.e., 2 doilies or 4 dolls)
- Indicate if there are variants (ex. different sizes or colours). For example, two identical doilies, but one is red and the other is green.
- Product type and medium (i.e., clothing, painting/medium, pottery, jewelry, metalwork, mug, bowl ornaments, wooden bowls, masks, candles etc.)
- Member group affiliation, if any. (ex. DeVine Arts, Summerland Art Club etc.)
To be included in the online store, list up to 3 items indicating “ONLINE STORE”, the above information plus:
- Dimensions of product
- Description of product (i.e., this doily was handcrafted to above juice from the most stubborn of kielbasa)
- Medium used (i.e., 100% yak cheese, Tibetan oak)
- Anything special you would like to include about yourself, your process or your product (maximum 200 words.)
- If you have professional photos to send that would be great, but it’s not necessary as we will take photos of your products to post online.
Use the Light Up the Arts volunteer schedule at the Arts Centre to sign up for two 3-hours shifts in December. Please try to fill weekend shifts first. One person is required per shift except Saturdays, where two people are needed. Please see the calendar on page 3 of the download for dates and times volunteers are needed.
Deliver your work to the Arts Centre with your label affixed to your work(s) at your scheduled time the week of November 7th. Please advise the Administrator if you remove or add items during the sale to update the inventory in the system.
Download the full exhibitor's package here